October 27, 2011

Word 2010 - Enable Editing

Microsoft is "helping" us by protecting us from viruses with the new Protected View of documents. But it gets irritating! Really! The doc is from my sister who has keys to my house and car, PIN numbers for my bank accounts and responsibility for my cats should that MAC truck get me. But I have to click on the ugly yellow bar to "Enable Editing" every time I open her family letter.  NOT!!

This first article tells you how to turn off the protection for a single document.
How to Turn Off "Enable Editing" from ThriveNetworks

Or you can change the protection settings for all documents in your Word Options.
Enable Editing for All Office 2010 Documents from How-To Geek

I would NOT recommend doing the last step in the instructions - "Disable Protected View from Registry."  First, you and I don't have any business messing around in Registry. Too many potential disasters there. Secondly, there is a reason Micosoft is offering us protection. You don't want to ignore the potential for viruses coming through a Word document.

Just edit the settings for a document or in general to make your computing a bit less irritating.

1 comment: