February 22, 2012

Online Time Management

With more and more collaboration occurring between teams, between different locations of the company and even between companies, it is becoming increasingly difficult to manage time data that you desperately need in order to control costs. You can’t allow overtime to eat away the profit margin on a project. You certainly want to bill for all billable hours.  You also need reliable data in order to quote for the next similar job. One answer is online time tracking software.

Consistency
If everyone on the project is using the same system, data gathering and analysis becomes instantly easier. I work with a lot of independent contractors. Each of them sends me their invoice or time slip in a different manner. I have to figure out how to translate that info into my invoicing system. One works in 6 minute increments; another works in 15 minute increments. One can’t add worth a darn so I have to correct her timeslips all the time. And since I’m not the best bookkeeper in the world myself, I have to deal with her errors compounded by my errors!!

Real Time View
If I can log in to a system and see exact data that is up to the minute, I have better control over my projects. Are we approaching the 40 hours I estimated but only half way through the job?  Are we ahead of schedule on Project A so I can shift people and time over to Project B where the deadline is close?  When I only see timeslips at the end of the week or every two weeks, I lose opportunities to make adjustments that could save a project. Or save my profit on a project.

Payroll Management
The four software packages I narrowed my search to all offer some type of report to assist you with filing payroll taxes. However, these are not payroll firms that cut checks and file the taxes for you. You take the data from the system. You cut your payroll checks. You file your own taxes.  TimeClock Online will create a file that you can import into your QuickBooks software.  For a small firm or a firm where the payroll is fairly consistent, this isn’t a problem. For a more complicated payroll, I encourage you to look into one of the companies that handles the whole process for you. Their fees have dropped considerably over the years and their advantages are many.

Security
The four companies I selected all offer SSL security. Tsheets and Track My People provide daily backups of your data.  The software varies in the amount of personal data they ask for about your users but it is always good to confirm that your data is protected.

Online
The future of software is online. The services will only get better.  The advantages even today though are worthwhile:  no “minimal” hardware requirements, no updates to install, lower IT personnel needs, access from any computer with a browser, access 24/7.  This allows me to keep my hardware costs down since I don’t have to buy more powerful computers every time a new, larger version comes out. I can keep my IT personnel costs down since I don’t have to have someone on staff to fix all the glitches between hardware, software versions and user errors. Note: You will never eliminate the need for an IT person. They are as necessary as your banker, your mechanic, your doctor. But you can lower the need for them so that instead of a full time staff person, you can do well with an on call consultant.

Costs
For one user, the software fees run from free to $10 per month. For 5 users, fees go from $21 - $40 per month. Ten users are between $29 – $65 per month. Twenty users will range between $59 - $115 per month.  Another advantage of online software, particularly the four I’ve chosen is that there is not a set up fee or cancellation fee. These are monthly services that must constantly earn your trust and your business. That makes them eager to please. Your implementation costs are going to be lower since you don’t have to buy software licenses, have your IT person do the installations then train the users. The learning curve is shorter as the software does one thing. Unlike Microsoft Word which can do everything except Windows (a little computer humor there!), time tracking software just tracks time. Your users will pick up on the process easier.

Your Computer Lady has prepared a comparison chart of the features of the four software packages. Email me for a free copy.

Software Possibilities


Written by:  Pamela Bir, Your Computer Lady
As published in Sources+Design Magazine December/January 2011 Issue

No comments:

Post a Comment