December 30, 2011

The Back-Up Plan

Clients often ask me this question. My somewhat cynical answer is “Often enough not to commit suicide when your hard drive crashes.” Because we know that someday that hard drive will crash!

Amount of Data Input
If I’m sitting at my desk entering client data for 8 hours a day, I want to back up hourly.
If I’m occasionally using my computer for a client proposal or letter, daily will be enough.

Difficulty in Re-creating the Data
If I lost my bank reconciliation for one month, it would be easy to re-do that work. Not pleasant, but easy.
If I lost a BIM file, CAD drawing or project management file, it would hard to re-create the work. Lots of time to duplicate the work. Double payroll. Deadline delays.
If I lost a design concept, it would be impossible to re-create the file.

Importance of the Data
If I’m audited, I need my accounting records have to be available for seven years.
If I need to re-construct events, emails documenting a project can be invaluable in case of legal action, etc.

So based on the above questions, you need to decide how often to back up.

Multiple Backup Copies
The more important the data, the more copies of the back up you want to have and the farther apart the copies should be. Don’t have one CD of your critical files! For example, my client data is my business. So I have a copy in my office in case I need to go back a couple of years to retrieve a brochure that a client wants updated.  I have a second copy in my car. If the office burns down, the car would probably survive since I have detached parking. Then I have a third copy online.

Online Backup Services
I love online backups. They automatically happen on a set schedule. Heaven knows we don’t want to rely on my memory!! I get an email if something goes wrong with the backup. I can access the files from any computer in case I need something when I’m at a client’s office. Some services even allow file sharing to eliminate the need for a separate storage account to share with collaborators.

Features between online companies vary greatly. Email me if you would like a copy of my comparison chart. 

Some services charge by user by file size. Others charge just by file size. So an architectural firm with huge BIM and CAD files would want to shop for the best file size provider. A one person resume firm would do better with a per user account.

Time and Stress Tips
Set up your files so that EVERYTHING goes into My Documents: your QuickBooks file, Microsoft Office files, photos, … EVERYTHING.  Then when you back up either to a DVD or to your online service, all you have to do is back up My Documents. You don’t have to wander all over the hard drive to spot different files. This will also save you a lot of time finding your files!

Don’t place files on your Desktop.  Put the file in My Documents. Then put a short cut on the desktop. Your files are safe in the back up set but you have quick access!

Outlook pst files can cause a problem with online backup if you use a service that backs up the entire file every time instead of doing an incremental backup.  In other words, if you add a 2 KB email to your Outlook file, an incremental service will back up just the new 2 KB email.  A total file replacement could be 4 GB or more depending on your version of Outlook and set up.

Online Backup Services
            iDrive.com
            Mozy.com
            Carbonite.com
            SOSonlinebackup.com
            Securusvault.com


Written by:  Pamela Bir, Your Computer Lady
As published in Sources+Design Magazine June/July 2011 Issue

No comments:

Post a Comment