April 6, 2011

How Much is a Facebook Fan Worth?

http://gigaom.com/2010/06/11/how-much-is-a-facebook-fan-really-worth/

I found this article in a discussion on LinkedIn about Facebook pages. The data is almost a year old so in social media time that's close to obsolete. But I felt the article was worth sharing because it tells the business owner how to measure the success of their Facebook page. I may not be sophisticated enough to calculate a dollar value. But I can look at my clients and measure at least in terms of Yes or No.
     Do the fans of my page talk to me more often than a non-fan?
     Do the fans of my Facebook page buy more than a non-fan?
     Do I have a longer business lifespan with Facebook fans?

If you get positive answers to these questions, you know the Facebook work is worthwhile. If you don't know the answers, you need to work on your marketing intelligence to get the answers.

Facebook is not for everyone. Just because it's hot today doesn't mean you have to jump on the bandwagon. Or maybe you need a limited presence instead of a Facebook microsite. But don't stay away from Facebook (or other social media) out of fear or lack of knowledge. Make a modest effort. Measure your results. Then adjust your marketing plan appropriately.

No comments:

Post a Comment